What if your life depended on the training of your co-workers? The dangers of molten metal processing mean that Novelis takes training very seriously. And while the safety of their workers is paramount, their expertise is second to none. The leading producer of flat-rolled aluminum products and the world’s largest recycler of aluminum, Novelis is a $10 billion company with 24 operating facilities in 10 countries.
The Novelis Learning Management System (LMS) had been built by a third-party vendor that controlled the aged, custom, Flash-based system. Some of the challenges included:
- Provisioning (or deprovisioning) users took days
- Users were increasingly unable to access Flash-based trainings
- Inaccessibility, delay and cost of a third party managing the system
- Training audits and reporting involved manually culling through spreadsheets and hundreds of emails
- Security vulnerabilities identified
As a current ServiceNow customer, Novelis found that the PlatCore LMS immediately met their needs around security. They soon realized the many benefits that PlatCore and the Now Platform would provide in managing their training, including;
- Significant cost and process efficiencies
- Easy to assign, deliver and alter courses
- Modern, user-friendly interface allows users to take training anytime, anywhere
- World-class reporting and custom dashboards provide access to real-time data, audits are as easy as, “point, click and print”
- Notifications on expiring training, automated monthly training reports, and much more
In short, they were going to gain control of their LMS.
A successful proof of concept quickly demonstrated that PlatCore provided an excellent foundation for their learning system out of the box. While Novelis is an existing ServiceNow customer, due to the urgency and need for the migration to a new LMS platform, they choose to deploy a dedicated ServiceNow instance for their Learning Solution. This enables a smooth migration to the Novelis corporate ServiceNow environment in the future.
- In a few short months, the team converted an amazing 5,028 videos for 261 courses in 7 languages. The PlatCore bulk uploader automated course migration.
- The system currently supports 1,279 users in 31 locations, 10 countries and 4 continents.
- In addition, the team imported 15,900 course achievement records, instantly creating a training history that Novelis could use for reporting.
- The executive teams and plant managers know exactly who, what, when and where training has been completed in real time.
- Estimate exponential Return on Investment
According to Stephanie Padilla, Training Process Owner with Novelis R & D, “Now, the data we need is at our fingertips immediately, where it used to take hours or month of combing through emails and paper files. And when audit time comes, it’s as easy as point, click and print.”
Novelis finally has direct control of their training. The company no longer worries about the security of their training and can provision (or revoke) access in just a few clicks. Staff all over the world have access to courses that are easily updated. This means quick distribution of the most innovative, recent technologies, as well as current processes and procedures that will keep people safe. Executives, managers and co-workers alike can rest easy knowing that training is up-to-date.
The PlatCore LMS has meant an exponential ROI for the company, but the real value is the safety of their people. And that’s what’s most important.
You can also see the details of our latest release on the ServiceNow Store.